Each language has its own specific expressions. Sometimes they may seem weird and funny to those who are new to the language. However, those funny expressions also provide us an interesting angle of the culture behind the language itself. Though Finnish is thought to be one of the most difficult-to-learn languages in the world, there are some special Finnish phrases that are simple and full of fun! Maybe you will find Finnish actually easy-going! Let’s have a look at the 10 funniest Finnish expressions.
1. The Finns aren’t “in a very bad mood” – they are like “a bear shot in the ass” (Kuin perseeseen ammuttu karhu).
2.The Finns aren’t in a “great hurry” – they “run using their head as a third leg” (Juosta pää kolmantena jalkana).
3.The Finns don’t think someone is “crazy” – they doubt “if one has all the Moomins in the valley” (Olla kaikki muumit laaksossa).
4. The Finns don’t use a “computer” – they have a “knowledge machine” (Tietokone).
5. The Finns don’t “get big-headed” – they have “piss coming up to their head” (Nousta kusi päähän).
6. The Finns don’t ask “how are you?” – they ask “what are you hearing?” (Mitä sinulle kuuluu?).
7. The Finns don’t say something “vanished into thin air” – they say it “disappeared like a fart in Sahara” (Kadota kuin pieru Saharaan).
8. The Finns don’t think something is “very heavy” – they think it “weighs like a sin” (Painaa kuin synti).
9. The Finns don’t have fairytales about “dragons” – they tell stories about “salmon snakes” (Lohikäärme).
10. Angry Finns don’t say they will “kill you” – they offer to “take you behind the sauna” (Viedä saunan taakse).
Not enough? Read more on funny and weird Finnish phrases!
Want to study in Finland?