Hoping to settle in Finland for good? On this page you will find detailed information about how to get a permanent residency in the happiest country in the world! Also check out our blog post on the topic.

If you have lived in Finland for a minimum of 4 years with a continuous residence permit, you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit. As a permanent resident, you will have a status comparable to Finnish citizens: you are entitled to public healthcare, public education and social security benefits, among others. A permanent residence permit is valid until further notice. In other words, its period of validity is not limited.

You need to live in Finland continuously before a permanent residence permit is granted. This means that you have had a reason for residing in Finland for at least 4 years – the reason can be e.g. continuous employment and/or family relations. However, studying in Finland does not count for continuous residence, since the residence permit for studies is always granted for a fixed term (1-2 years at a time).

If you’re a student, you need to obtain a continuous residence permit after graduation before you can start applying for permanent residency. For students, this requirement is easiest to fulfill by working full-time for a Finnish employee for 4 years. Please read more about working in Finland as a student or graduate from one of our blog posts. Finnish job markets have high needs for international talents in many fields, so working in Finland and obtaining the Finnish permanent residency will not be an issue if you really want to settle in Finland!