Software product management is an integral part of software development.
Software product management defines how the life cycle of a digital product is managed, planned and governed. Continuous business changes imposed by new technology and the digitalization of businesses and the society form the environment for modern software development.
The Master’s Programme in Software Product Management and Business at LUT University focuses on the design, implementation and maintenance of software and digital services in their business context. The program combines business with software engineering in modern software platforms and ecosystems.
To start the studies directly with a pre-existing Bachelor’s degree, at least 24 ECTS credits in software engineering or related subjects (computer science, information sciences or information technology) are required, but the Bachelor’s degree may be from a different field.
The program is well suited for people already in the working world because it mainly utilizes blended and hybrid teaching. Contact teaching will be arranged on the Lahti campus on individual days at the end of the week.
In this program, you will develop professional skills to understand complex software-intensive business environments and long-term management aspects of software engineering.
As a graduate of the Master’s Programme in Software Product Management and Business, you will possess:
- skills in analyzing, developing and managing new software-based digital products in the software industry; you will learn to manage and analyze business platforms related to the digital product portfolio of organizations;
- knowledge of the management of enterprise-level systems and the software landscape and its connections to external platforms and ecosystems;
- competences to recognize human, security, social, and entrepreneur issues and responsibilities relevant to engineering software and the digitalization of services.
- multi-cultural teamwork skills to communicate logically, convincingly, and effectively both orally and in writing; you will also acquire skills to function effectively in teams and adapt teaming strategies to improve productivity;
- a professional network through collaboration with your peers and meeting with local companies.
The programme is arranged at LUT’s Lahti campus, and it combines lectured courses with online learning assignments.
The programme includes core, advanced specialisation, minor, and elective studies.
Core studies, 30-31 ECTS credits, include courses on software engineering models and methods, requirements engineering, running a software project, and research design methods.
Advanced specialisation studies, 48 ECTS credits, focus on software product management, software business processes, software innovation and software portfolio management.
Elective studies, 12 ECTS credits, may be selected from any disciplines at LUT to complement your studies.
The Master’s thesis, 30 ECTS credits, is an advanced research project which requires approximately six months of full-time work. Students complete it during their fourth semester.
After graduation, you will have good competencies to work as an expert in the software industry in development, management and business development.
Typical job titles include:
- senior software developer
- software product manager
- product owner
- business development director.
The admission requirements for the program can found on the university page.