Sustainability Science and Solutions program at LUT University is designated to identify solutions to global challenges, such as environmental sustainability, call for systems thinking. It is important to understand the context in which a product is going to operate and whether it relates to the need to reduce emissions, use less oil-based fuel or water, end-of-life disassembly, or marketing in a region that taxes based on a footprint.
By understanding the broader context in which the challenges lie, we are able to identify more sustainable solutions.
In this program, you will learn to identify the challenges of sustainability and view them in a multidisciplinary way, producing solutions that take all aspects of sustainability in society into consideration.
You will take courses on renewable energy and energy efficiency, waste management, life cycle management, emission control and reduction, climate change, and sustainable business and innovation.
Your studies will focus on industrial and corporate processes and practices, enabling you to acquire knowledge and skills to introduce sustainability solutions to the corporate and government sectors.
After completing the programme in Sustainability Science and Solutions, you will know how to manage environmental issues in a way that profits business and the environment, utilise life cycle modelling and make sustainable decisions in demanding situations.
You will be able to recognise opportunities offered by new technological innovations to promote sustainable development.
You will acquire:
- competence in recognising the most significant environmental impacts of products and processes and their importance in terms of business; you will be able to apply theories and the most recent scientific knowledge to solve problems involving environmental aspects;
- skills to understand the requirements of systemic change and analyse how competitive in terms of environmental impacts and costs a certain technology, product or service is in different operating environments; you will be able to work as an environmental expert in a range of decision-making situations and produce and convey information to support stakeholders in environmental decision-making;
- knowledge about technical possibilities of industrial, service, community, and primary production processes and systems to minimise environmental impacts; you will be able to explain the complex interdependencies of both local and global environmental problems and apply theories to find the most sustainable product or process design.
Sustainability Science and Solutions programme includes core, advanced specialisation, minor and elective studies.
Core studies, 38 ECTS credits, include topics in life cycle assessment, system transition, an energy efficient environment, business and sustainability, and renewable energy technology.
Advanced specialisation studies, 25 ECTS credits, include studies in air pollution control, sustainable water use, waste treatment, and circular economy for materials processing.
Recommended minor studies, min. 20 ECTS credits, include studies in renewable energy and energy efficiency, international business and management, bio-based chemical engineering, and energy technology.
Elective studies may be selected from any disciplines at LUT; choose enough to meet the minimum total credit requirement of the Master’s degree.
The Master’s thesis, 30 ECTS credits, is an advanced research project completed during the fourth semester. The Master’s thesis is a part of the advanced specialisation studies and requires approximately six months of full-time work.
After graduation, you will have good competencies to work in international and multidisciplinary environments.
As a graduate, you will be able to work in industry, consultancies, regulatory agencies, and governmental and non-governmental organisations, where growing interest in sustainability has created new employment opportunities.
Graduates from this programme have found employment as
- environmental specialists in consulting companies
- environmental managers in industrial enterprises
- development engineers in the paper industry
- emissions specialists in the engineering industry
- environmental engineers in the energy industry
- environmental officers for government authorities
- sustainability specialists in the construction industry
- environmental and safety specialists in industry
- researchers at research institutes
- municipal environmental managers
- environmental experts in charge of municipal climate issues
- engineers in charge of environmental issues in product development
- environmental authorities
You will also obtain a firm basis to continue your studies in doctoral programmes.