Enjoy solving technological problems and creating sustainable solutions for people and the needs of the future! Learn how to find the real needs of people and organizations, design products, machines, and services in creative cooperation, and respect the natural world and future well-being by ensuring the designs are sustainable.
Sustainable Design Engineering may be the most crucial study field today since it combines the three areas that together can make substantial positive impacts towards a better world and future for people and the planet:
- Mechanical Engineering: Focused on maximizing functionality and efficiency through engineering mathematics, materials, production, and structural mechanics.
- Sustainable Development: Emphasizing sustainability in all aspects, including circular economics, material and product life-cycle analysis, and social and cultural considerations.
- Design Thinking: Providing a purpose-driven approach to solving real-life problems using human-centered methods, creative ideation, visualization, prototyping, and concept design.
In the English-language education in mechanical engineering, you can direct your studies by specializing in Sustainable Design Engineering. The extent of the degree is 240 ECTS credits, and it consists of:
- Engineering core studies 90 ECTS
- Sustainability and Design core studies 30 ECTS
- Professional studies in Sustainable Design Engineering 45 ECTS
- Elective studies 30 ECTS
- Practical training 30 ECTS
- Thesis 15 ECTS
- Mechanical engineers are in high demand in the Finnish technology industry.
- There is a growing need for engineers with human-centered design and sustainability expertise.
- Career opportunities include roles in engineering and design offices, industrial companies, public organizations, and technical trade tasks.
- Experienced mechanical engineers can pursue expert, supervisor, and management positions.
- Specialized mechanical engineers in Sustainable Design Engineering excel in identifying real needs, understanding circular economy principles, and creating creative, sustainable technological solutions.