The Bachelor’s degree program in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) provides you with the skills and knowledge needed to manage, operate and protect applications and computer systems. The program deals with technologies, methods and tools such as software applications, data networks and cybersecurity, games and hi-tech electronic devices and systems.
The ICT program has six specialization tracks to be chosen from:
- Cybersecurity and IoT
- Data Networks and Cybersecurity
- Embedded Software and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Game and Interactive Technologies
- Health Technology
- Software Engineering and Project Management
The Bachelor’s Program in ICT gives you diverse opportunities as a future ICT professional. The studies contain many research and development projects together with companies. Therefore, you will participate in a lot of teamwork, laboratory work and project work. These study modes prepare you to take on the job market after graduation.
In the Cyber Security program, you can study subjects such as programming, information systems, cybersecurity operations, and data networks. In addition, you will be familiar with technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT) and 5G.
As an ICT engineering graduate you will have a wide and practically-oriented fundamental knowledge and skills. The studies will strengthen your capabilities to promote life-long learning, language and communication skills, and prepare you for working in an international environment.
The curriculum consists of basic, professional and optional studies as well as practical training and a Bachelor’s thesis project.
- Basic studies contain Basics of ICT, language and communication courses, and coaching in study skills.
- General professional studies focus mainly on topics such as mathematics, physics and advanced communication skills.
- Mandatory professional studies include also Programming, Basics of Cyber Security and Information Systems.
- The advanced professional studies and optional studies take place during the third and fourth year including topics such as IoT, Cyber Security Operations and Cyber Security for Networked Systems.
The program has strong connections to the IoT industry in Salo, and provides unique opportunities for students to network and interact with industry contacts during their studies.
Structure for studies (240 ECTS, 4 years)
Basic studies 90 ECTS
- Working Life Skills for Engineers 1 (15 ECTS)
- Working Life Skills for Engineers 2 (15 ECTS)
- Engineering Tools 1, Choose one (15 ECTS)
- Engineering Tools 2, Choose one (15 ECTS)
- Engineering Tools 3 (15 ECTS)
- Project Skills and Entrepreneurship (15 ECTS)
Professional studies 75 ECTS
Optional studies 30 ECTS
Bachelor thesis 15 ECTS
Practical training 30 ECTS
The extent of the Bachelor of Engineering degree program in ICT is 240 ECTS credits and the planned duration of the studies is four years.
The combination of computer, electrical and software engineering, computer science, and communication technology is important for all businesses.
After graduation, you can work in a large variety of industries – from automotive and medical technology, to traditional ICT companies. Your career path will largely depend on your chosen specialization track within the ICT program.
Typical positions of ICT engineering graduates include:
- Cyber Security Specialist
- Game Developer
- Hardware Engineer
- IT Specialist
- Project Manager
- Software Designer
- System Administrator
- UX Designer
Finland, with its fast development and advanced technologies, has a great demand for IT talents. Graduating students can therefore choose from a wide range of options, including internationally known companies like Nokia and Kone, to a huge game developers like Rovio (Angry Birds).