While a health insurance is strongly recommended for all foreign students, it is obligatory for non-EU/ETA nationals. To apply for a student residence permit, you need to have a valid insurance. Without a valid health insurance, a residence permit cannot be granted.

  • Insurance

    What kind of insurance will I need?

    • The excess on your insurance must not exceed 300 euros.
    • Your insurance must cover medical expenses up to 100,000 euros if your studies in Finland last less than two years.
    • Your insurance must cover medical expenses up to 30,000 euros if your studies in Finland last two years or longer.
    • You must have insurance for your entire stay in Finland. Your insurance must be valid at the moment of your arrival in Finland. If you intend to study in Finland for one year or longer, take out a one-year insurance policy. Be sure to renew your insurance policy prior to expiry.


    More information about the type of insurance can be found from the website of the Finnish Immigration Department.


    Why do I need an insurance?

    While Finland is an extremely safe country, accidents do happen. You may unexpectedly injury yourself while participating in sports, for instance, and dealing with the aftermath can be very costly. It is very important to have a valid health and accident insurance policy.

    It is recommended that you take an insurance that not only covers your stay in Finland, but also on the trips to and from the country. If you plan on doing any traveling, it is advisable that you make sure you are covered by your insurance during your trips, too.

    In case of any urgent medical attention in Finland, regardless of your nationality, you have the access to medical treatment under the Finnish legislation. However, if Finland does not have any social security agreements with your own home country, the health care provider has the right to charge you the full cost of the treatment.

    Normally, only permanent Finnish residents are covered under the National Health Insurance scheme by Kela, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland. Thus, international students with a temporary student residence permit are not. Unless you are covered by a corresponding scheme from your own home country, of have a European Health Service Card, you are strongly advised to obtain a medical and accident insurance from a private insurance company before your arrival to Finland.

    Please refer to the website of Kela (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland) for detailed information about your coverage under the Finnish social security system.

  • Student Health Services

    Student health services are offered by the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS), and are available for all students studying on a Bachelor’s or Master’s level at universities and have paid their student union membership fee to a student union that is affiliated with the FSHS. Those studying for a Licentiate of Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Medicine degree are also entitled to use the FSHS’s services. The health services are not available for Doctoral students, so if you are admitted to Doctoral level studies, please contact your university for advice and options on local health care.

    If you are studying at a university of applied sciences (UAS), the health care services are usually provided through municipal health care providers. You can find more information on your health care arrangements from your UAS directly.

    Please note that even when your student status makes you eligible to access the student health care services, this does not replace the need for a valid insurance.

  • Vaccination

    Finland is on top of the world rankings in terms of health and hygiene. No vaccination are required prior arrival. However, some vaccinations are part of the national vaccination program. All adults should ensure that they have received at least a basic series of three vaccination doses each for tetanus, diphtheria and polio.


    For whom and when?

    Diphteria and tetanus vaccine, dT People who have received the basic series are given a booster every 10 years
    Polio vaccine, IPV The basic series generally requires no boosters in adult age.
    A booster is recommended for people arriving from or departing for at-risk areas and for their families.
    Measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, MMR In order to ensure coverage, every adult must be protected against measles, mumps and rubella, either by having had the diseases or by having had two doses of MMR vaccine. If an adult has insufficient MMR vaccination coverage, it will be augmented


    More information about vaccinations can be found from the website of the Finnish National Institute for Health and Welfare.

Hear the latest from Edunation

Subscribe to our newsletter

Edunation, Vuorikatu 3, 33100 Tampere, Finland +358 50 354 8603
Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm (GMT +2)
© 2017 Edunation

Site by Atomi