The Finnish government recently introduced tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students. Although, tuition fees in Finland are affordable, you also get the highest quality education in the world. Many universities have also introduced various scholarships for incoming students that are required to pay tuition. Please check each university page for their Scholarship and Grant options.

  • Social Insurance Institution of Finland (KELA)

    The general rule is that you cannot get financial aid from the state of Finland, unless you are a Finnish citizen. However, exceptions do exist, thus you may qualify for financial aid if:

    • You have been granted a continuous (A) or permanent (P) residence permit or an EU residence permit for third-country nationals (P-EU or P-EY).
    • You are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, a family member of such a person, or a citizen of a Nordic country.
    • You are living in Finland permanently and you have arrived in Finland for some other reason than to study. E.g., employment, family ties or return migration.

    Whether your residence is considered to be permanent is determined on the basis of the Municipality of Residence Act.

    If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can get financial aid even if you came to Finland to study. This requires that:

    • You are employed in Finland for at least 4 months with an average of at least 18 hours of work per week, or that your insurable earnings under the Self-Employed Persons’ Pensions Act are at least 1,000€ per month, or you have been granted the right of permanent residence in Finland under the Aliens Act.

    You can also get financial aid if you are a family member of a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland who is employed in Finland.

    Read more about Financial Aid on Kela’s website.

  • EU Scholarships

    You can also apply for an Erasmus scholarship through the Erasmus Mundus for full degree studies. However, the number of scholarships and the universities they offer it for is limited. More information about this can be found here.

  • Scholarships in your home country

    It’s often also possible to apply for study abroad scholarships or grants in your home country.

    The easiest way to get information about such possibilities is to visit the website of your country’s Ministry of Education, or contacting them through email or phone.

    If possible, you could also contact the Finnish Embassy in your country and inquire about grants or some other forms of funding which they may offer.

Hear the latest from Edunation

Subscribe to our newsletter

Edunation, Vuorikatu 3, 33100 Tampere, Finland +358 50 354 8603
Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm (GMT +2)
© 2018 Edunation

Site by Atomi