There are certain things that need to be taken care of before, during, and after your studies to ensure that you can make the most of your time abroad. We have gathered this list to help you make your travel arrangements. You can find more detailed information about the subjects as well as links to other useful pages on our website.
- Do a little research about the universities and their locations to help you better decide where you would rather apply
- Read students’ experiences
- Check what documents are required for applying to your chosen university
- Fill out online application
- Book your flights about 2 months before the semester starts to get better prices
- Look for accommodation and flatmates. Some students choose to stay at a hotel or a hostel for the first week and look for long-term accommodation after they have arrived at the destination, but this could be expensive in Finland
- Check that your passport is and will be valid during your time abroad
- Get insurance – you must present a proof of your travel insurance at the start of the semester!
- Familiarize yourself with the visa requirements
- Get any required vaccinations
- Apply for scholarships and funding, if applicable
- Get a Credit Card
- Submit a notice of migration to local authorities and postal service, redirecting your mail
- Register with your home country’s embassy so that they know you are abroad.
- Try to learn about the destination as much as possible beforehand
- Apply for a Visa
During your stay