There are certain things that need to be taken care of before, during, and after your studies to ensure that you can make the most of your time abroad.
We have gathered this list to help you make your travel arrangements. You can find more detailed information about the subjects as well as links to other useful pages on our website.
- Before applying
- Apply for the residence permit. It is advisable to familiarize yourself with the residence permit requirements already during the application process.
- Get an insurance – you will need a valid insurance when you apply for the residence permit.
- Book your flight only after you have received the residence permit.
- Apply for accommodation. There’s a student housing organization in almost every city that offers affordable apartment. You can also look for an apartment on the free market but this will be more expensive.
- Check that your passport is and will be valid during your time abroad
- Get any required vaccinations
- Apply on time for scholarships and funding, if applicable
- Get a Credit Card.
- Submit a notice of migration to local authorities and postal service, redirecting your mail.
- Register with your home country’s embassy so that they know you are abroad.
- Try to learn about the destination as much as possible beforehand
- Get yourself a student card. You can get many student privileges and discounts.
- Register yourself at Maistraati if you have not been recorded in the population registry.
- Go to the police station and get a Finnish ID card.
- Get familiarized with the transportation systems in your city.
- Set yourself up with a Finnish phone number.