Did you know that the European Union has set a goal for 2050 in which CO2 emissions relating to real estate energy consumption will be cut by 90 percent? This ambitious energy and climate target means that we now face a monumental task of finding new and sustainable solutions for future development and refurbishment of buildings. Traditional deep renovations are, however, far too expensive and thus new approaches are needed.
This is why Arcada, in co-operation with leading partner institutions in Europe and the rest of the world, has launched a new master’s degree program in Real Estate Energy.
|Degree:||Master of Engineering|
|Duration:||1 academic year|
|Studies begin:||end of August|
|Language of instruction:||English|
The program is aimed at professionals in the field of energy, construction or HVAC engineering looking to gain competence and knowledge to tackle new challenges. The foundation of the degree program is sustainable refurbishment, both in terms of financial and environmental issues.
The comprehensive curriculum covers topics such as:
- The future directions of energy and climate, with focus on energy resources, energy politics on a global level, climate change, renewable energy technologies and electric grid issues
- Energy diagnosis of real estate and renovations, with focus on both energy efficiency and comfort
- Sustainable development of real estate to meet the energy and climate target of 2050
- Financial, project and change management of real estate renovations.
Scheduled teaching takes place at Arcada a few days a week. Any candidate with at least three years of relevant work experience and a suitable bachelor’s degree in energy, HVAC or building construction engineering can apply.
During the program, you will be studying the following modules:
- Energy Diagnosis and Indoor Comfort 15 ECTS
- Adaption with Changing Climate with Modern Materials 15 ECTS (Optional module)
- Energy and Energy Efficiency: Technology and Policy 15 ECTS (Optional module)
Upon completion of these modules, you are required to deliver a master’s thesis worth 30 ECTS.
This degree program will open many possibilities for your career path. Below, a few are listed:
- Portfolio management
- Planning of thermal retrofitting
- Energy management
- Investment risk management within the real estate sector and banking
- Energy-advisory services
- Quality assurance and control for/of the construction industry