Today’s global business world is looking for talented graduates with an international mindset and understanding of the management of innovations and new technologies.
Multinational enterprises and new innovative companies around the world look for young experts who can manage businesses in a global setting.
Innovations and technology are present in all aspects of modern society. Your studies will focus on different aspects of technological and innovative firms, ranging from start-ups to large multinational companies.
You will be exposed to concepts needed to be effective managers in a wide variety of roles in the company ranging from marketing to product development, project management or human resources.
During your studies you will develop critical and innovative thinking, a global business perspective, enhanced communication skills, and obtain the technical tools necessary for business decision-making.
Close collaboration with industry ensures the practical real-world application of new knowledge and theories. Already during your studies you will be actively collaborating with Finnish companies, specialized particularly in high-technology industrial fields.
Close contacts with companies during your Master’s thesis project will benefit your future career.
Degree: Master of Science in Technology Extent of studies: 120 credits Duration: 2 academic years Studies begin: September Language of instruction English
An understanding of critical and innovative thinking, a global business perspective, enhanced communication skills as well as the technical tools and techniques is necessary for business decision-making.
Having completed your studies, you will possess a wide variety of perspectives on the management of innovations and technology based on the combination of business, engineering and management.
You will be able to cooperate and solve complex situations in today’s networked business world due to diverse study methods and working in teams.
- be able to create and analyze strategies within an international context relating to products, services and technologies
- be able to practice and manage decision-making strategies, frameworks and tools in global networks and markets
- be able to analyse processes and structures of organisations and their development issues
- be able to practice, plan and manage the build-up of product families, product systems, and product platforms for tangible and intangible goods using widely different management methods in companies and networks
- be able to plan and manage international business
- be able to apply theories, methods and tools of decision-making and analysis to practical management activities.
The program includes core studies, specialization studies and minor studies.
Core studies (38 ECTS credits) include courses on strategic technology and innovation management, project management, research methodologies and product development.
Specialization studies (58 ECTS credits) include studies on creative design and problem solving, open innovations, international business networks, and systems dynamics in industrial management.
Minor studies (24 ECTS credits) can be selected from other LUT minor subjects in technology.
The Master’s thesis and seminar, 30 ECTS credits, is a part of specialization studies. The thesis is an advanced research project, which requires approximately six months of full-time work. It is completed during the fourth semester of the degree program.
Double degree studies for LUT degree students
GMIT offers students also a possibility for double degree studies.
Students admitted to complete the Master’s degree in the GMIT program at LUT may apply for the double degree program organized in cooperation with the Illinois Institute of Technology – IIT (USA). The corresponding program in IIT is Master of Industrial Technology and Operations (MITO).
LUT selects students through internal application process. The Admission of LUT students to IIT will be determined by IIT. The applicants have to fulfill all the application criteria presented below:
- Obtain a minimum of 3.5 GPA (Grade Point Average) on the scale of 5.0 at LUT in their studies.
- Fulfill the GRE score requirements set by IIT
- Have English language skills equivalent to IELTS score 6,5
- Be a student in good standing at LUT.
Students studying at LUT as double degree students, who are coming from LUT partner universities, are not eligible for GMIT/IIT Double Degree Program.
The application to the GMIT/MITO program at LUT (selection of candidate) and at IIT (final selection) takes place during the spring semester.
Double degree studies for students from partner universities
Students from partner universities are able to study as a double degree student at LUT. Students admitted to the double degree program receive a degree certificate from two universities after they have fulfilled the degree requirements of both universities.
LUT has agreed on educational co-operation with selected partners:
- Bauman Moscow State Technical University, Russia
- Kazan Federal University, Russia
- Moscow State University of Management, Russia
- Moscow State University of Railway Engineering, Russia
- Novosibirsk State Technical University, Russia
- Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnical University, Russia
- St. Petersburg State Mining University, Russia
- St. Petersburg State University of Economics, Russia
After graduation you will have interesting and challenging career prospects.
Global customer-supplier relationships and business networks demand talented young professionals in the management of innovations and technologies, industrial marketing, sales, supply chain management and technology sourcing.
Graduates from this program have found placement as export managers, key account managers, logistic managers, controllers, analysts, business application specialists, operative purchasers, technology innovation managers, etc.
You will also have a firm basis for doctoral studies in the field of industrial management.
GMAT/ GRE minimum scores
Applicants for this program need to submit one of the following test results with the required minimum scores:
Total score 550
(2) GRE General:
Verbal Reasoning 152
Quantitative Reasoning 152
Analytical Writing 3.0
For more information of required documents, please go to the university page.