We all want to build a society which will enable fruitful life also for our children. As the complexity and urgency of many sustainability problems increase, we can no longer think about our investment needs as a specific technical product which has a great performance.
In every investment decision a growing need to contribute more effectively to sustainability challenges has to be taken into account.
Climate warming, weakening air quality, water pollution and waste amounts are examples of sustainability challenges faced around the world today. Sometimes traditional technologies offer best solutions but also integration of novel solutions to complex environmental problems are needed.
Solutions to these global challenges, such as environmental sustainability, call for systems thinking. It is increasingly required to understand the context in which the product is going to operate, whether that relates to the need to reduce emissions, use less oil-based fuel or water, disassembly at the end of its life or marketing in a region which taxes based on a footprint.
By understanding the broader context in which the challenges lie, we are able to identify more sustainable solutions.
In this program you will learn to identify the challenges of sustainability and view them in a multidisciplinary way, producing solutions, which cover all of the aspects of sustainability on a wide range in the society.
You will study courses in renewable energy and energy efficiency, waste management, life cycle management, emission control and reduction, climate change and sustainable business and innovation.
Your studies will be focused on industrial and corporate processes and practices, so you will acquire knowledge and skill sets to bring sustainability solutions to corporate and government sectors.
Degree: Master of Science in Technology Extent of studies: 120 credits Duration: 2 academic years Studies begin: September Language of instruction English
After having completed the program, you will learn to manage environmental issues in a way that profits business and the environment and to utilize life cycle modeling and make sustainable decisions in demanding situations.
You will learn to recognize opportunities offered by new technological innovations to promote sustainable development.
- be able to identify the most important environmental impacts of products and processes and their significance for business
- be able to analyze how competitive in terms of environmental impacts and costs a given technology, product or service is in different operating environments
- be able to recognize the environmental impacts of industrial, service, community and primary sector processes and systems and evaluate the technical possibilities to minimize them
- be able to explain the complex interdependencies of local and global environmental problems
- be able to apply theories and the most recent scientific knowledge to solve problems with environmental aspects
- be able to act as an environmental expert in different decision-making situations of a business and to produce and convey information to support different stakeholders in environmental-related decision-making
- be able to assimilate and innovate new technological solutions to develop the environmental sector
The program includes core studies, specialization studies, minor studies, language studies and elective studies.
Core studies (23-27 ECTS credits) include studies on life cycle assessment, sustainable innovation and system transition.
Specialization studies (59 ECTS credits) include studies on air pollution control, sustainable water use, waste treatment technology and climate finance and carbon markets.
Minor studies (min. 20 ECTS credits) can be selected from three minor subjects offered by this Master’s program. A minor subject can also be selected from minor subjects offered by other LUT degree programs.
Language studies, 4 ECTS credits.
Elective studies (13 ECTS credits) are studies from any disciplines at LUT, including language courses.
The Master’s thesis and seminar, 30 ECTS credits, is a part of specialization studies. It is an advanced research project, which requires approximately six months of full-time work. It is completed during the fourth semester of the degree program.
After having completed the studies, you will have good competencies to work in international and multidisciplinary environments.
As a graduate, you may assume positions in industry, consultancy, regulatory agencies, and governmental and non-governmental organizations, where growing interest in sustainability has created new employment opportunities.
Graduates from this program have found employment as
- environmental specialists in consulting companies
- environmental managers in industrial enterprises
- development engineers in the paper industry
- emissions specialists in the engineering industry
- environmental engineers in the energy industry
- environmental officers for government authorities
- sustainability specialists in the construction industry
- environmental and safety specialists in industry
- researchers in a research institute
- municipal environmental managers
You will also be given a firm basis to continue your studies in doctoral programs.
GMAT/ GRE minimum scores
Applicants for this program need to submit one of the following test results with the required minimum scores:
(1) GRE Physics:
Scaled score 560
(2) GRE Physics:
Verbal Reasoning 140
Quantitative Reasoning 147
Analytical Writing 3.0
For more information of required documents, please go to the university page.