LUT Summer School is the perfect program for students who wish to study and gain an in-depth understanding of contemporary, relevant topics in business and technology, while also experiencing the beauty of Finland in the summer!
Watch the video below to get a taste of this great opportunity that Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology has to offer.
How to apply
In order to apply, you have to:
- Fill out the online application form
- Send an official transcript of records from your home university
- Bachelor’s and master’s students in the fields of technology and business. For detailed admission requirements, please check the course descriptions below.
- Fluency in English. All courses are taught in English, and good English language skills are needed to follow lectures. No tests are required.
- Make sure you meet course prerequisites.
Tuition and accommodation fees
LUT, Saimaa UAS and LAMK degree students
- Tuition fee: free. The fee does not include lunches and social activities.
- Accommodation: students will cover this by themselves.
- Social activities: EUR 139 for 1 – 2 weeks, or EUR 199 for 3 – 4 weeks.
LUT, Saimaa UAS and LAMK exchange students
The fees for LUT, Saimaa UAS and LAMK exchange students, who are doing exchange in spring 2019 and want to stay for summer in Lappeenranta, are:
- attending courses for 1 – 2 weeks: EUR 149. The fee includes attending courses and all social events. Note, lunch and accommodation are not included.
- attending courses for 3 – 4 weeks: EUR 199. The fee includes attending courses and all social events. Note, lunch and accommodation are not included.
Fee for the trip to St. Petersburg, Russia
Students who wish to take part in the extracurricular visit to St. Petersburg have two options, both separately self-financed:
- complementary part of the course “Doing Business in Russia”, cost EUR 470.
- weekend trip with organized cultural program, cost EUR 430.
At the LUT Summer School you can study business and technology courses on bachelor’s and master’s levels.
You can take a single module or combine modules, provided that the schedules do not overlap and the prerequisites for attendance are met. You can also combine modules in a way that you can stay up to four weeks. We highly recommend taking a look at the contents and the prerequisites for attendance of all offered modules.
Note that modules in the same week cannot be combined since daily attendance is required in all courses.
Below LUT Summer School 2019 courses and detailed course descriptions. Click on the name of the course to open the file.
Master’s level courses by Lappeenranta University of Technology:
- Creativity and Entrepreneurship in New Product Development from the Silicon Valley’s Perspectives
- International Human Resource Management
- Advanced Database Programming
- International Marketing of High Technology Products and Innovations
- International Business and Emerging Markets
- Doing Business in Russia
- Game Design – from Concepts to Implementation
- Computational Engineering and Technical Physics
- Additive Manufacturing – 3D Printing
- Systematic Creativity – TRIZ Basics
- Material Selection and Manufacturability Aspects of Energy Technology Applications
- Solar Economy and Smart Grids
- Inventive Product Design and Advanced TRIZ
- Bachelor’s level courses by Saimaa University of Applied Sciences:Week 1:
This summer, LUT will offer two online courses in addition to our regular classroom courses:
These online courses are identical to the same regular ones. You can choose between Systematic Creativity – TRIZ Basics and Systematic Creativity – TRIZ Basics Online, or Inventive Product Design and Advanced TRIZ and Inventive Product Design and Advanced TRIZ Online; the contents of the classroom courses and their online versions are the same. Note, that you cannot enroll for two identical courses, e.g. Systematic Creativity – TRIZ Basics and Systematic Creativity – TRIZ Basics Online.
The online option enables you to earn more ECTS credits during the summer school. The online courses are 3 ECTS credits each. The duration of each online course is 2 weeks.
Online courses have a separate attendance fee:
- For summer school students who enroll for regular courses, the extra fee for each online course is EUR 95.
- For students who register only for online courses, the fee for each course is EUR 595.
- Online courses are free of charge for degree students of LUT, Saimaa UAS and LAMK.
Doing Business in Russia, 4 ECTS credits
The course Doing Business in Russia is lectured partly at LUT and partly in St. Petersburg, Russia. Students must attend all lectures at LUT and in St. Petersburg in order to receive the final grade for the course. Following the academic part, students stay in St. Petersburg for the weekend and enjoy an organised cultural and social program.
Note! An additional fee will be charged for travelling and cultural events during the trip. The fee is EUR 470 without visa costs.
The fee includes company visit in St. Petersburg, lunch on Friday during the company visit, two-way train tickets, an accommodation with breakfast in hotel Moscow, a river cruise, a tour at the State Hermitage Museum, and a dinner at Russian-styled restaurant. Detailed instructions and official invitation document will be sent to those, who enroll for the course.
Note, that the trip fee includes train tickets to the speed train Allegro: Vainikkala (the nearest railway station) – St. Petersburg-Vainikkala. On the way back on Sunday Allegro train continues to Helsinki after Vainikkala. If you wish to continue to Helsinki, you can book tickets for extra 45 € by informing to us.
Participants are responsible for their own visa costs.
The LUT Summer School reserves the right to change or modify the schedule of the course.
The LUT Summer School involves more than mere classroom work. To add to your learning experience and help you meet other students, the LUT Summer School organizes an action-packed social program.
Welcome and farewell receptions will bee arranged, where you can meet other students as well as your professors. We will also organize dozens of smaller events, ranging from Finnish sauna and barbeque evenings to a cruise on Lake Saimaa.
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Official hang-outs in city centre
- Traditional Finnish Sauna Nights with different themes (Finnish culture, International night)
- Company presentations (KONE)
- Cruise on Lake Saimaa
- Trip to St. Petersburg (separately financed by students)