The manufacturing industry faces new challenges as customers’ needs change due to increasing awareness of sustainable manufacturing methods and the development of new advanced materials.
During your studies, you will learn to see the possibilities and restrictions of sustainable production. You will develop skills, enabling you to participate in demanding global development tasks of product and production design, manufacturing and modern production of metal constructions. You will be able to analyze challenging production tasks also by using simulation software.
All sessions of the program will be available online. You will be able to participate in the program according to the MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) principle.
Graduates will be ready to engage in modern, world-class manufacturing for a sustainable future.
You will be able to work in teams and handle the interaction between product development, production, materials technology, design, construction, energy and process technology, and operational techniques.
After completing this Master’s program, you will be able to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of manufacturing as a whole and an essential part of the company business
- adopt the principles of the most common and widely used manufacturing processes
- logically think through existing manufacturing problems in daily use and solve them, to contribute to innovative thinking
- understand possibilities of automation and robots for manufacturing stages
- understand the meaning of material selection and design for manufacturing of products
- rethink existing manufacturing methods and generate innovative new methods for improving the whole factory concept and production
- well understand economy of manufacturing
The program includes core studies and specialization studies.
Core studies include topics on research methods, structural materials, industrial manufacturing processes, reliability engineering design, management and leadership skills.
Specialization studies include topics on integration of production and product design, sustainable production and material selection, packaging technology, advanced welding processes, sustainable welding production, laser processing and 3D-printing and production controlling technologies and methods.
The Master’s thesis and seminar are part of specialization studies.
You will acquire the knowledge and skills to work in different fields of the manufacturing industry, most typically in research, development, and innovation functions of mechanical engineering companies and equipment manufacturers.
Other prospective positions include overseeing the construction of new factories, systems or processes, the import and sales of machinery, and supervising, teaching and testing positions.
You may find placement in mechanical engineering, machine and device import, inspecting and testing industries, or education and research organisations. Graduates of this programme have found placement in companies like Outotec, UPM, Stora Enso, Metso, Wärtsilä, Kone, Konecranes, ABB, and VTT.
Additionally, the skills of manufacturing engineers are increasingly in demand beyond the traditional mechanical engineering industry.